Thursday, July 8, 2021

God Stills Lives at the Beach

As I wrote in an older post from July 12, 2012, our family enjoys visiting the ancient shore of St Augustine Beach. It's our go-to happy place. We still stay in the same modest yet ever so clean and comfortable villa that is just steps away from the beach. The owner is continually making updates to the place. She's great like that.  Yet, there's one thing I hope she never changes.

There's a plaque quoting a Spanish Proverb that greets all who enter the front door. Inviting us to relax, do nothing and then rest after. It's a beautiful thing.   

Of course, one day the plaque might come down. One day the lovely little villa might not be so readily available. That's the nature of  the beach rental property business. 

Yet I never worry about God not showing up when I visit the ancient shore. He still lives at the beach. I like to think He awaits my visits. Actually, we visit together quite nicely. No lack or awkwardness at all. 

As I sit and watch the tide move to and fro, we delight over the squeals of children riding waves and dogs prancing by begging to be admired and petted.

When we walk together, I thank Him for houses situated so grandly. I feel grateful on behalf of those who have the means to own a beach home. And for those, like me, probably most of  us enjoying the beach, who only rent and visit.   

As we pass people of all shapes, colors and sizes, I feel God smiling. For each one is an image bearer that He created, loves and made an elaborate plan for redemption.  He's so wonderful like that. How grateful I am to know Him.  

God and I have such wonderful chats by the water.  If it isn't too rough, we wade out a bit. I thank Him for the beauty of His creation. I marvel at the refreshing water temperature and the width, depth and breadth of the massive body. And, I'm reminded time and again, that even in all its glorious splendor, the ocean is merely the creation. Not the Creator. 

Just as the sun begins its going down, I thank Him profusely. The years He has met me and mine at the beach, granting us safety and wonderful memories are more than I can count. Blessings are like that. Too numerous to count but oh the joy in doing so. Despite all that counting, I bring to His remembrance the many things that tug at my heart. One thing, especially too close at said heart to be written for public view. And He gently reminds me that He is at work hastening to perfect things that only He can perfect. That's His job. Not mine. And He does it oh so very well. He reminds me that He knows me and knows all things. 

He seems to say that all the while I'm caught in the beauty of relaxing. doing nothing and then resting afterward, He is still at work.  I think He wants me to trust Him more. 

And, there's just something about visiting Him at the beach that helps me do so.



1 comment:

  1. Becky, you have a beautiful way with words. I love reading your blog. Beth

    ReplyDelete