Sunday, February 19, 2023

Pondering Psalm 46:10 Anew

To write that Psalm 46:10 is my favorite verse would come at no surprise. I like quiet and stillness – it's my default setting. Too much noise frustrates me. All this is a bit overstated, over written even, but deep truths generally are. Just lately, my niece gave me a mug and journal that she designed around Psalm 46:10. Just for me. She's so kind. She even included a lovely seaside scene. Southerners like me call it "the beach" and my niece knows I love the beach (another over written deep truth). Yet she didn't know that I had also been gifted with a red book entitled, A Meditative Journey Through the Psalms. A thoughtful friend, who has taught me so much about discernment and prayer, gave it to me.
Life with the mug, journal and red book encourages me to “be still and know that God is God" all the more. During these winter days, even in the south, all I want to do is be still. Quiet time with God is commendable, but it's very good that spring will be here directly. In that vein, the author of the red book, Dr. Timothy Tennent, encourages me to ponder with clarity the whole of Psalm 46. As I do, the earth gives way. The mountains fall into the heart of the sea. The psalm is written from a deep place of turbulence. Not a peaceful beach scene at all. The author reminds me that Psalm 46 is the basis of the hymn, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, penned by Martin Luther, the great reformer of our faith from centuries ago. The hymn and the psalm remind me that no matter what, God is always in control. My attention is called to the scene in Mark 4 where Jesus speaks to the turbulent sea waters and commands them to "be still." And, of course, they do. All to say, I'm pondering Psalm 46:10 anew and may I better know that God is indeed God. May I continually be aware of Holy Spirit within me. Not just in the still and quiet places that I long for, but in turbulent places where sin brings noise, chaos, confusion and division. Finding such places isn’t difficult. I want to be so led by God’s peaceful presence, that turbulence gives way to stillness wherever it erupts about me. Let it be, Lord – and, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog, A mighty Fortress is God, amen to that. I love the book of Psalms, every emotion known to man is written out in the Psalms, but also written in the Psalms is the answer to our emotional reactions to life, thank you Becky for reminding us in this beautiful, thoughtful blog. Your friend Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you dear friend! Means so much that my writing speaks to you but then most anything involving a Psalm is worthy of reading. How grateful I am for God's Word, especially in the Psalms.

    ReplyDelete