Saturday, February 4, 2017

The Being Still Thing

A young friend gave me a small notebook for Christmas. It's quite handy.  And last November, a most useful writing on Advent came my way.  It's penned From the Preacherman, which are writings by the Rev. Chris Michael, Pastor of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).  

He wrote that Advent is the toughest season in the Christian year to keep. It wants us to be slow and quiet while the secular holiday season places frenzied demands on our time. He wrote that Advent beckons us to be still and know that God is God and we are not.  

I took this writing From the Preacherman to heart. Those closest to me would say that being still is my natural habitat. And, they'd be right. I like quiet. Too much noise frustrates me. I like to ponder this and that and I like to hear myself think.  I like to read and write. I'm very fond of cat naps and even manage to pray a little. All these are done best while being quiet and still. Yet, I took the being still thing even deeper during Advent. I took it into Christmas and New Year.  I took it into Epiphany, which is rarely thought about. Lent is fast approaching so I may as well continue.  In stillness I realize my brokenness. In stillness I realize I need a Savior.  I think that's the point of most seasons of the Christian year.

My young friend is such a thoughtful gift giver. But I don't think she knew just how handy the notebook would be.

In my times of being still and knowing that God is God, I think of many things. I write them on the pages of the notebook.  During these times, I think of my young friend. I thank God for her life. I ask him to bless her.  During these times,  I think of the writings From the Preacherman. I hope he continues to write because, while he is not my pastor, he has shown such pastorly kindness. Even in my natural habitat, it's good to be reminded to be still and know that God is God and I am not.

Be still and know that I am God.
  Psalm 46:10




No comments:

Post a Comment