Sunday, March 19, 2017

Both Rose and John*

 . . . parents are the pride of their children.
Proverbs 17:6 (NIV)

My momma and daddy are gone now.
Yet the faith and the farm they left me and mine
is like a vault full of gold.     

While the faith can’t be seen with the eyes in my head,
it's as real as the dirt in the field of the farm.  
It is as real as the seeds that are sown.
It is as real as the crops that are grown.
It's as deep as the pond on the farm
that schools the fish that eat the worm on the
hook of my cane pole.

Her name was Rose; her heart was as sweet and pure as her name.
She taught me to love soul-deep, to pray at all times, and to bake
a moist pound cake. Rose couldn't carry a tune of music, but she
did carry God's word in her heart. She hid it there. 
Twice she had to bury a son of her own.
She did so with great strength and grace.


His name was John. The same name as the one Christ loved.
Daddy had a wit as dry as the farm in dire need of rain.
John used to say that any day he got to wet a worm made for
a fine day. With bait and boat, he did so from sun up to sun down just in case
the next sun to rise made for a day not so fine.


Rose and John are with God. It's right and good for they are His.
And, I am His and their’s and I feel so rich.
Thanks be to God.


 


 

*A homework writing assignment using one syllable and five or less letter multi-syllable words. My fine subjects made it fun and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment