Saturday, June 15, 2019

Pondering the Morning Glory

On a walk in the dawn's early light, I spotted a Morning Glory vine at the edge of the field. Two of the flowers were trying their best to bloom. It must have been difficult. We hadn't seen a drop of rain for weeks.

The mere name of the vine made a score of scripture verses come to mind. Which is good since the whole earth is full of his glory (Isaiah 6:3).

See how the flowers of the field grow.
Matthew 6:28 

Since that walk my Bible has been open at the 17th chapter of the Gospel of John. It's my favorite. There are hand written notes all in the margins. In this portion of the Scripture, I find the earthly ministry of Jesus winding down. He's fast tracking to the place where He purchases redemption. Where He dies for the sin of whole the world.

Jesus had many things on His mind. So He prays.

It's just lovely. Read it -- I bet you'll find it lovely, too. Because Jesus prays for Himself and for those disciples who are close, near and dear to Him. Not just that -- He also prays for those who will believe in Him through the witness of those disciples (John 17:20).

So . . . Jesus prayed for me before I was even a twinkle in my mother's eye. Even before she purchased the NIV Study Application Bible that is now so precious to me. The one that's open right now at John 17.

He was praying for you, too. Oh, how I love that.

Jesus prays in verse 10: All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

When I read the commentary from that same Bible, the authors say, "God's glory is the revelation of his character and presence."

This causes me to consider the character of Jesus. That brings another New Testament verse to mind:

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22).  The authors of the same commentary say ". . . The Spirit produces these character traits that are found in the nature of Christ."

Therefore, I must allow that when the Lord's character traits are produced in my life -- my home, job, writing and relationships -- then I bring Him glory.

And so, that Morning Glory vine has kept me pondering. If God's presence in nature causes such tiny wild flowers to bring glory even in a thirsty field, surely He will work His character and presence into my life so that I might do the same.

When I read the 17th chapter of the Gospel of John, I think it might just be possible.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment