Saturday, January 5, 2019

Pondering Epiphany

Epiphany is a season of the church. It commemorates the arrival of the Wise Men or The Magi to worship the young Jesus. Epiphany is January 6 and is the twelfth day of Christmas.   

Yet, it slips by me each holiday season.  I don't know why really. Maybe, I'm too quick to begin putting away the Christmas decor.  This can be quite a chore until I remember how much joy the season always brings.

This year, however, Epiphany falls on the first Sunday in January.  I, therefore, decided I'd give the date more thought. 

I took all the Wise Men pieces from my various nativity collections and grouped them together. And, I'm pondering the entire second chapter of The Gospel of Matthew.  In just twenty-three verses, I find my young Savior, His mother and Joseph. I read of a very mean and jealous king called Herod--oh, so wicked. 

Yet, those truly wise men not only travel such long distances following a grand and glorious star, they find Who they are seeking.  And, they bring Him glorious gifts. They worship Him. They listen to God in their dreams and they protect the young Jesus from the oh, so wicked king called Herod. 

It's quite a lot to ponder. And, I still have a lot of Christmas decor to put away.



And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother,
and they fell down and worshiped Him.  And when they had opened their treasures,
they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Matthew 2:11 (NKJ) 






No comments:

Post a Comment